Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Matter of Taste

Last night I tried to experiment with flavors that have been used together in other recipes in a new way. I tried the sausage/seafood combination, but made several key mistakes that I will have to consider learning experiences. First off, I put in too much sausage and the sausage I put in was too salty (even for me), so the rest of the tinkering I did with the recipe was to tame the salt and balance the flavor. The seafood hadn't a chance of shining through, unless I turned my dinner for three into a giant vat of food. The next issue was that I reached for the chicken broth, didn't read the label and realized as I dumped it in that it was beef broth. Now I had overpowering sausage mixed with an over-powering broth. I added water, lemon juice, lemon peel, mirin, lots of sliced onion and minced garlic. I added the seafood (which I had promised my daughter) and thickened it a bit. It ended up okay served over pasta, but all of the ingredients could have been used better. My husband and kid liked it, my daughter took extra pasta to soak up the sauce after she was told she couldn't use her fingers to convey it to her mouth. She studied the squid tentacles, compared them to caterpillars and then gleefully popped them in her mouth. My husband ate the leftovers for breakfast.

I'm glad its gone and not staring me in the face as I open the refrigerator today, reminding me that I cooked bad food.

Tonight is girl's night, just my daughter and I. Broccoli, cauliflower, tofu, pork chops...hmmmm, what region of the world shall provide inspiration?

No comments:

Post a Comment