Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Potato Pie


Today's experiment was inspired by some of the old American cookbooks I've been reading lately.

Yesterday, I made a mountain of potatoes, knowing that there was absolutely no way that my family could eat all of them. I had potato pancakes made with mashed potatoes in mind. Today I mixed up the potatoes, two onions finely chopped, some flour, two eggs, a tablespoon of baking powder (the only thing I measured), milk and a pinch of salt.

They half cooked, the side closest to the center of the pan was gorgeous, brown and crispy, but the side by the edge of the pan was potato mush. I tried slowing down the cooking until it almost stopped to get some decent ones, but it would have taken all evening to cook enough for dinner at that rate. I took the rest of my batter and thickened it a bit more with flour added a bit of oil to the cast iron pan, poured in the mixture and popped it into the oven at 375 degrees. It was crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside.

There is a bit left to pop in the toaster oven for breakfast, it will be a good morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment