Saturday, January 9, 2010

Leftover Fusion


The two nights ago I prepared a full Indian meal with Saag Paneer (I substituted blanched collards for spinach, because they were on hand, the paneer was home made with goat milk), dal, rice, cucumber koshimbir and tomato koshimbir and tortillas, since I hadn’t made any bread. Since it had been quite a bit of work to put together and I was hungry, I immediately began to eat. A few minutes into the meal my husband reminded me that I should have taken a picture of my plate for the blog.

I seem to be completely incapable of making a small pot of dal, no matter what I do there always seems to be a vat when I am done, so I am in search of ways to creatively use it. I’ve made fritters much like falafel in the past, today I decided to make dal pancakes. I added two eggs, water, flour and baking powder until it looked like pancake batter.

I pulled out a relish I made a couple of weeks ago with kumquats and cranberries, that was uninspiring, and added Vietnamese chili garlic sauce and rice vinegar to turn it into a sweet chutney.
I pulled out my trusty cast iron pan, cooked up pancakes and topped them with the gloriously bright red chutney. It tastes even better than it looks, and it is good for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment