Sunday, May 9, 2010

Fruit Quest Crisp



My daughter has been inquiring about berry crisp for over a week and I could see that she wouldn’t be able to contain that craving for much longer.
(Wonder where she got that from??)

We found a pick-your-own blueberry farm in the next town over (Bluebela Farms LLC ) and decided that it was time to make our late-spring (in Florida, at least) pilgrimage to the bushes.
Following the lead of a recent animated film my family has been calling our excursions to new places "adventures", and often the term is quite true.




Today, we had the excitement of having the google map directions be completely bizarre.


After fifteen minutes of the directions making absolutely no sense, the map showed a straight road and we had completed two ninety degree turns and encountered intersections with roads that weren’t featured on the map, and the road up ahead looking like it was taking us deep into Florida beef cattle country, I was all set to turn around on the next road and give it up for another day. As we started our turn, I realized that it actually was the road to the farm.




I didn’t have to break it to my daughter that this evening might not be the best time for our adventure. Good.

Two minutes later we were turning up the drive. As with every good farm that sells to the public, this farm had the welcoming committee of friendly dogs lazing in the driveway and then sidling up to the car for an ear scratch or two. The greeters led us to the people who work for them, handing out buckets, making change and such. We each got our bucket, and headed for the rows of Emerald and Jewel blueberry bushes.

It was the end of a busy weekend, the wrong time to go a pick-your-own (PYO) farm, but since my daughter had been sick for most of the week this was our first opportunity to head outside. There were ripe berries on the bushes, but they were hiding amongst the leaves, the easy to see berries were long gone.




My daughter was purposely picking berries with a little bit of reddish purple because she likes the tang. Then she wanted to know why I was laughing at her, but I wasn’t, I was having déjà vu of a time when, at about the same age, I had to explain to my mother why I was picking McIntosh apples that were slightly green. The picking was a little slow going, but we picked a couple of pounds and decided to come back mid-week when fewer people would be picking and more berries would be ripe or almost ripe.

As we paid for our berries and chatted with the farm owners, we mentioned our blueberry crisp urgency and Angela requested the recipe, so here it is:

Fruit Quest Crisp

4-5 c fruit blueberries, blackberries, peaches, apples--whatever you have (slice apples or other large fruit, I often don't even peel the apples)
1 Tbs lemon juice (for apples or other fruit that discolors or needs a little something)
2/3 c flour
1 c brown sugar
2 c rolled oats (old fashioned, not quick, the texture changes)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c melted margarine (1 stick)

Preheat oven to 375º

Grease a rectangular 9X12 pan or casserole.
Place fruit in a layer, if using apples, sprinkle with lemon juice.
Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl with the melted margarine until crumbly. Sprinkle over apples and bake at 375º for 30 min.
Serve with ice cream, whipped cream or with milk.

It is supposed to be a dessert, but it tastes good for breakfast the next day warmed up with a little milk on it. It’s oatmeal, right?

2 comments:

  1. We pick blueberries every year on the first Saturday after the last day of school. It is the perfect way to start off the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that you came back for more! That was great that we could chat ( all about food and nutrition )and our husbands,... that almost never talk... had a good conversation!!! I hope that you made it to the goat farm and got the milk that you needed, I still didn't make the blueberry crisp but I will.I wish you and your family a great summer and if God willing we see you next time for more delicious blueberries!!!

    ReplyDelete